I guess it has been a week and a half since I posted anything. Yea, I am lazy, I guess. I have another project I have been working on (writing a story) that has cut into my WoW time, plus I have been doing something different in-game.
I got out my 4-box shaman team.
Chastity and Firespirit (see? I am still reading the blogs anyway.) both make the point that the endgame has become EZMode. I agree with both, and I think that both make interesting points about accessibility vs. boredom. Multi-boxing allows me to attempt to break that cycle, anyway. I have 4 shaman (shamans? Shamii? anyway...) All are specced elemental with talent point selection being whatever I think looks cool at the time. Lately, the 4 girls have been running the Deadmines, making better and better progress as we go. For the record, I am not picking up a fifth member, preferring to 4-man the dungeon myself.
Last night, I attempted the Goblin Foundry and succeeded. I was so stoked I went on to down Mr. Smite, without a single death. Dinner being finished is the only thing that kept me from wiping on VanCleef then and there.
For me, multiboxing is a different game than normal. I am still running dungeons, but I have full control of the group. With the baby priest, I am at the mercy of DF and whatever players it assigns me. With the 'boxers, tho, I know what to expect, and the accomplishment is all mine. Additionally, the preparatory work that comes from writing the scripts ( I borrow concepts from the multi-boxing community, but the scripts are all written myself. I also use an excellent add on to help with group organization. Finally, since I play the 4 toons across 2 computers, I have a software KVM and another piece of software that lets me broadcast keystrokes to all of the WoW clients at once.
This is where you have to be careful with the ToS. You cannot get too fancy with your out of game scripting, or you break the 'one keypress, one action' rule. Blizz has told us many times though that 'boxing is NOT cheating.
So how does this all relate? When I get on the Tree and heal heroics I find that I, like Chastity, am being carried by my gear. Being left-handed, I have keybound my heal spells to the number pad on the right of the keyboard and run the mouse with the left. When I first hit 80, I would be leaning into the computer, frantically hammering the keys to keep everyone alive. Now, I am reclined in the seat, using the mouse on my leg and tapping Wild Growth every once in a while.
The baby priest has her own issues, in that if the heroic dungeon finder is a Sanity Tap, then the low level DF is even worse. Losing sanity for 0 badges. Tho I get some XP.
I guess what I am rambling on and on to say is that for me, multi-boxing allows me to find a fresh angle to the game. I get away from the repetitiveness of questing (especially at lower levels) and also have a way to avoid the players that don't understand threat and group mechanics. Multiboxing FTW!
If there is interest (or even if not. HA!) I will be adding more info about my multiboxing setup. Scripts that I use, etc.
---End of completely rambling post. Sorry, Frutsration with the IRL job is affecting my mental state right now---
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment