Sunday, December 20, 2009

Being Imba....

Hi. My name is Imhoughtep, and I am addicted to be.imba.hu

-(Hi, Imhoughtep)-

I can't explain it. I check 3 times a day. I look at it everytime I log out of WoW. I check it at work when I haven't played since the night before for crying out loud. In fact, as I type this in Firefox, it is open in the next tab to the left!

What is it that draws my attention? What constant need does be.imba fulfill? The Gear-O-Meter. I can't help watching as the green bar creeps ever further to the right. Allegedly, pre-raid gear is now all considered trivial. I know that grinding heroics *has* gotten easier.

But there is something so alluring in the simplicity with which be.imba reviews your character, and tells you rather pointedly "Your chants suck here. That one is ok, I guess. That piece of gear is just fail. Oh, and by the way moron, you have an empty socket!" It also, tells you what you are doing right, of course, but for a method of finding where you need to focus your efforts, be.imba is just... imba.

Of course, you don't just get hooked on be.imba straight-away. For me, the gateway drug was Rawr. Have you tried Rawr? Here, just check it out. No, it's free, man. Give it a try, you like it. Oh, yea. I can hook you up with all you need......

Rawr lets me try, endlessly, an infinite amount of combinations of gear, gems, enchants, trinkets, etc. It categorizes them for you. It lists them by benefits. You can filter out where you are and aren't able to attain items from. ah, the beauty of Rawr....

Anyway... What offline tools do others use? I am certainly not the *only* one that is this deep into it. I hope. As a fairly new 80, I never expected to get this hooked on gearing.

1 comment:

  1. Imp and A Tree....


    I LIKE IT!

    Gratz on the first few posts on your new blog, Im really loving it.

    In any event, The only tool that I really use, other than my compilation of brain power and EJ Forums, is MaxDPS.com. Sadly, Rawr (IMO) just dosent work for a ret pally. It prioritizes stats in, again IMO, an incorrect way.

    But in any event, yes, I tend to click into maxdps or EJ forums when I am having a slow spot at work. I really should stop that :(

    LOL

    BTW, Totally MUST get a different comment system. That is one of the things I ABSOLUTELY cannot stand about blogger (and one of the reasons I went with Wordpress.

    As I am typing this now, I am going to have to copy and paste this message after I reload the page. If you dont have blogger, this system just FREAKING SUCKS!

    *end rant*

    ReplyDelete