Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Healers and Macro Spamming

I have been doing some reading on the blogs, and noticed a developing trend. Tamarind, Firespirit, and others are starting to use a macro to lay down some ground rules for healing.

Now, I haven't been healing for very long, and most of it has been with pugs both before and after the new dungeon finder. I have noticed that healers tend to take the brunt of the blame for wipes, however. Read any healing blog, and you will find them resplendent with tales of unrighteous blame being directed at them. I have had my share of tanks that couldn't keep a dog's attention with a steak, and I get the blame for the dead DPS. Likewise, the tank that blames me for his death while he is wearing the 8 piece set of wet paper bag.

Having said this, do the new macro-spams represent a change in attitude for healers? Will healers reject the notion that it is, by default, their problem if the group wipes?

While it is easy to get grouped up with jerks or any sort, I have found that most of the pugs I get joined up with are actually pleasant people. We go in, get the run completed, and get out. However, I have started developing a love/hate relationship with one particular type of player.

The warrior tank.

Now, I have played a baby warrior. I understand that rage is all the... rage. Trying to get the next pull before your rage bar runs empty is all good.
-However-
Let's be a bit realistic, shall we? Here is the problem: As a tree druid, I tend to hang back with the mage and warlock. If all goes well, I stay back there until I see the mob go splat on the floor. At that point, I look for the sparklies and go get them. Then we all run on to the next pack of mobs and repeat the process. Ahh, if it were only that simple. Instead, As the monster makes a general twitch in the direction of falling over, the warrior is running toward the next pack. I see the mob hit the floor, and run toward my loot. About half-way there, I see the warrior hit his 'charge' button, and he is up to his elbows in fangs, claws, and whatever else is trying to remove his spleen. Now, if the warrior is so over-geared that he isn't taking any damage, yay for him! I can collect my loot, and move over to start healing. Invariably, however, they are NOT overgeared, and by the time I get near enough to loot my corpse, they are at 50% or less. So instead of taking my loot, I have to run past, and frantically try to heal the tank, as well as the 3 DPS that followed along and somehow are taking damage as well.

Therefore, MY macro is: "Not to be a jerk, but if you pull aggro while I am not in the room, then you obviously don't need my heals for this fight. Good luck and have fun!" I will not be spamming it at the beginning of the run, but will be ready to use it if it becomes a problem. I was all set to start spamming it at the start, but the next group I got into, the tank did something completely different when we zoned in, and it confused me. He didn't run off. We buffed, and then he actually ASKED IF WE WERE ALL READY!!! I know, I know! You can see why I was so disoriented. Similarly, he asked if we were ready at natural breakpoints in the action, and didn't sprint from fight to fight. It was so pleasant, I asked everyone to re-Q as the same group, which we did, and we culled Stratholme together, got the reigns for the person that didn't have them, and had an amazingly pleasant time.

The best part? At the end of Strat, he told us it was his bedtime. It was like the twilight zone.

Anyway, that made me decide to be less judgemental, and give tanks a chance before nerd-rage spamming them.

What do you think? Spam at the start of the run? Grin and bear it? Or a macro-in-reserve? What other options are people using?

3 comments:

  1. i think u should do it at the start, just because the tank might be an idiot, and you dont know it yet... just me tho wat do i know...

    im a dk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know not all tanks are that bad. I myself think i am an ok tank. (but yes that is because i have my crazy tree healer dad always complaining about the stupid tanks, so I changed how i roll )
    But, also look at it this way. if you have full manna and so does everyone else then you should beable to go no problems, no questions asked... and if you have an idiot hunter w/ no manna forget him. let him learn to use viper. lol (my mains a hunter i can say that)
    but just try to remember as your nerd rageing in my ear or others that not all tanks are these horrid evil little monsters who are out to ruin your run and lose a spleen or two. some of them try to be like the perfect tank. or meat shield as i like to call it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think *ALL* tanks are horrible, or I would just quit. There are just too many that don't take the time to check if people are ready. That assume that full mana = ready to go. I do like to pick up my loot occasionally. Grab a drink of soda, whatever. In general, I would say that if I am next to you, or close behind, good to go. If I am back in the last room, maybe give me just a second, m'kay?

    Having said that, I don't mind healing with you, personally. If you do something annoying, I can reach over and smuck ya' one upside the head!

    ReplyDelete